I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me. It's easy.


For anyone wishing to take up dance lessons the Teachers’ Committee of the British Dance Council would like to recommend that you ensure that your dance teacher is professionally qualified with an awarding body that is recognized by the Council.

All such professionally qualified dance teachers should:

• Have the appropriate insurance cover in place
• Have the correct Child Protection policies in place
• Hold any necessary licences in place i.e. PRS/PPL licence for the playing of music
• Ensure that the premises they use are safe and fit for purpose
• Be aware of and abide by the latest GDPR rules (General Data Protection Requirements)
• Have the relevant Disclosure and Barring Service checks in place (this used to be a CRB check - Criminal Records Bureau) for their staff

The awarding bodies that are recognized by the BDC are:
Allied Dance Association (ADA)
Associated Board of Dance (ABD)
British Association of Teachers of Dancing (BATD)
Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD)
International Dance Teachers’ Association (IDTA)
National Association of Teachers of Dancing (NATD)
Northern Counties Dance Teachers’ Association (NCDTA)
Scottish Dance Teachers’ Association (SDTA)
United Kingdom Alliance (UKA)